Urban photography session
The cityscape is filled with intriguing places, manic streets and colourful people to photograph. All great aspects to further your photography knowledge. The aim of this walkabout photographic session is to focus on genres like street photography, urban landscapes and street art as we walk and shoot.
On these 4-hour sessions, we’ll walk and shoot, discuss the photos and reshoot if we need to. Whether it’s the fear of photographing strangers, composing images or technical issues, we’ll work on all of them during the session. Have a look at my Urban Photography Portfolio to see what type of image we could be aiming for
I offer three routes in London and one in Brighton so contact me to discuss which one might best suit you and the genres you like.
- Waterloo Station to Liverpool Street Station
- Tottenham Court Road to Leicester Square Station
- Chalk Farm (Camden) to Spitalfields Market
Who is the course for?
- Who have been taking photos as a hobby, keeping to Program mode and other Automatic settings
- Who’ve done photography for a few years and are comfortable with Aperture and Shutter speed modes.
- Have a good understanding of exposure and the basic principles of shooting on Manual but may be scared to do it.
Duration and Price
- 4-hour session in London (30min theory refresh + 3:30min walk)
- £160 one-to-one or £250 bring a friend
Your own DSLR or mirrorless camera with a detachable lens is preferable, but let’s chat and see what you have.
The content covered in the course
- One-to-one Photographic tuition
- Meet at the nearest railway or tube station for a coffee before we set off
- Go through some ethics of urban photography
- Get image feedback and critique as you shoot, then re-shoot if necessary
- Walking and shooting what you want to focus on and learn
- Experiment with different composition rules
- Focusing, depth of field, using the histogram if you are not familiar with them
- Urban Landscapes and Cityscapes
- Candid photography
- Abstracts and Patterns
- Movements – blur, panning
- Scale (contrasts to show the scale of objects in a city)
- Parasitism – Use street signs, graffiti, event posters that litter the streets to tell a story
- Compress space – Use longer focal length lenses (if you have them) to compress the vastness of scenes.
“The hardest job of the photographer is seeing the way that the camera sees.” – David DuChemin
Please email me if you’re interested in booking a session or are unsure whether this is the course for you.
Wayne Marinovich is a successful photographer and published author living in West Sussex in the UK. Through his love of the natural world and a passion for photographing the urban landscape, he is now offering 1-2-1 tailored photographic sessions.
With 35 years of photography experience, these sessions will be geared around teaching you how to learn to capture the images you’ve always imagined taking by making the most of your photographic equipment.
Wayne will help you unleash your creativity and inspire you to see the world with fresh eyes through your viewfinder.
For something a little more specific, like learning to shoot in the urban environment, you may also be interested in the Urban Photography workshop
Please click on the Subscribe button if you want to receive my newsletter. Click below for photographs, print sales and photographic news + a free sign-up gift.